- Home »
- IR35 and Legal Expenses »
Whether over tax or VAT, legal disputes with HM Revenue & Customs can be lengthy and, above all, extremely expensive.
No matter how efficient you may believe you or your accountants are in completing your various tax returns, the complexities of the tax system (income tax, VAT, National Insurance etc) mean things can get overlooked. Added to this, HM Revenue & Customs has specific targets for carrying out thousands of enquiries into freelance professionals’ tax returns every year – often selected at random. Make no mistake, these enquiries are extremely thorough and many of them highlight problems over tax assessment leading to a legal dispute.
Could you afford to be involved in a legal dispute with HM Customs & Excise? For just £67.50 per year our IR35 Insurance & Legal Expenses Insurance policy will give you real peace of mind by giving you £100,000 of legal representation and providing the following cover:
1. Accountancy fees in representing you in a full and/or aspect enquiry by HM Revenue & Customs. (Aspect Enquiries have a £10,000 inner limit.)
2. Access to a dedicated telephone service offering advice to freelance contractors on IR35 and similar issues.
3. 24-hour legal advice link on UK and European law.
4. Legal costs for defence and appeals in respect of criminal proceedings for both you and your employees, as well as limited cover for civil proceedings for employees.
5. Legal costs and expenses for representation and defence proceedings brought under the Data Protection Act.
6. Legal costs and expenses in defending actions brought by employees and ex-employees under employment legislation.
7. Jury service – the policy will pay your wages for the time that you need to take off work to attend any arbitration, court and tribunal hearings.
Purchase your business insurance with FreelanceInsure
and get more cover for
Our experienced brokers are ready to give you the best advice.